Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Merry Christmas!


Dear family and friends,

Literally everything is awesome right now! My area, companionship, and life in general! Elder Booher and I are completely different people but I cant think of a better companionship! Together, we are able to teach wonderful lessons and I always learn something new from the Spirit that is so strong every time we teach. The fun thing is.... We don't teach from the book! We wing it! It seems every lesson is completely directed by the Spirit. Whenever I hold a monkey or kill a bat I always think to myself, "Wow I wish my friends and family could've witnessed that!" Whenever we get done teaching I think the exact same thing only way stronger! This is why I'm so excited for my buddies who are about to experience the life changing moments only discovered when testifying side by side with the Spirit. In my last area I cared about my investigators a lot but I've reached the point where they are all I think about! It's awesome and it helps me lose myself and my thoughts in the work. I'll be honest, when my buddy Elder Hinson went home, I kinda got anxious for the day I too could return to the promised land where running clean water and stable electricity are expectations not luxuries. But now... I feel bad for the guy! I mean, if he had half the experiences I'm having now, it would be so hard to leave! Being a missionary is awesome and so rewarding! I hope this helps anyone who is on the fence about going on a mission;)

Christmas away from home on another continent was not bad at all! It was different but not bad. Elder Booher, Packer, Aspuria, and I each pitched in 10 USD to purchase a nice apartment Christmas Eve dinner, Christmas breakfast, and dinner! We had the realization that all 4 of us were experiencing our first Christmas away from our families. This made the day more meaningful because we were all in it together. At the mission Christmas party, I got a few random letters from random people wanting to wish me (a random missionary) a Merry Christmas! It was so nice and I'm going to keep them forever! I remember as a kid, my family would write to the ward missionaries during the holidays but I never knew until now how meaningful those letters must've been. 

Speaking of letters... The day after Christmas we went for interviews with President at the stake center. How it works is Sister Clark will conduct discussions with the missionaries while President interviews one of us at a time. This is usually when we get mail, church magazines, and medication. While waiting for my interview, Elder Jensen asked Sister Clark who the stack of letters were for on her bag. "Oh these?" She replied as she lifted them up. "These are for Elder Hallenberger!" Ah! You guys I was so excited to get mail! Dozens of letters from lots of loved ones! I love you guys so much! Thanks for being so incredibly thoughtful! It made my holiday and it meant the world to me! If anyone knows me, they know I love my ward family so being able to hear from you and see your Christmas cards was honestly a priceless gift. Thank you! I love you all!

I spent the day testifying that the greatest gift ever given was the gift of the Savior. "For God so loved the world, that he gave His only begotten Son." The greatest gift was given out of love which is the greatest gift we could give. I know this to be true and as I used this week to "Light my faith" I found that the best way to feel the Savior's love is to try and share the Savior's love with those around you. Elder Packer shared with me an amazing song about the Atonement that literally brings me to tears whenever I hear it. Its called, "Not my will" from the musical The Garden. I encourage you guys to listen to it. I hope everyone had an amazing Christmas!

While recovering in Accra, I had to pretend I was an Accra missionary. During this time, I had an irritation in my Spirit that gave me a massive confirmation as to where I needed to be. The Lord needs me in Liberia and every time I conclude an amazing day with my new companion... I'm reminded of that fact. I love Liberia, I love my companion, I love the work, and I love you all! 

Merry Christmas and happy New Year my friends! 

Sincerely, Elder Hallenberger

PS: My new area has the worst Email shack. I apologize if i'm not able to send pictures or emails.

Pictures below from the Mission Wide Christmas Gathering sent by Sis. Clark. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

God Bless The Rains Down In Africa!

I have waited until Sunday to post this message because Sunday is a sacred day and this message will include many miracles:) Just this la...