Sunday, March 29, 2020

God Bless The Rains Down In Africa!



I have waited until Sunday to post this message because Sunday is a sacred day and this message will include many miracles:)

Just this last Tuesday at around 12am after about 21 months of missionary service, I arrived in Salt Lake City after a long and difficult 50 hour trip which included a 12 hour layover in Nigeria and another long layover in London. Although I’ve been home for almost a week, I still haven’t seen my mom and dad because of quarantine issues. I’ll reunite with them on Friday which will be wonderful! Soon after my arrival, my stake president called me and released me over the phone. He invited me to seriously ponder the Lord’s hand in the work.

Well they say the most you will remember about your mission is the last two months and this is VERY true😂 Especially because the last 2 months of my mission was an emotional roller coaster! It all started at the end of January when Kobe Bryant passed away which was hard on everyone. A couple days later, we received news that my friend and companion had to return home early due to a family matter. This meant I had to show another elder my area in only 5 days because I was also leaving the area. I think it was day 3 of 5 when we got the call the mission was being reduced and all the bush elders would come into the city which is where I was currently serving. Because of this I had to show FIVE people my area before I left. After this stressful task which involved 2 last minute miracle baptisms, I finally arrived to my new area. I was in a small apartment with 5 other elders and my companion and I were sleeping on the floor in a room no bigger than a typical hall bathroom. Although the living conditions were tight, I absolutely loved it!! Of course, I was only there for 4 days when we got the devastating call informing us that the entire mission would be evacuated due to government and economic frustrations.



Within 2 days, I went from a happy missionary serving in Liberia with an awesome companion and mission president to a sad little missionary serving with strangers in Ghana not even speaking English. Although it wasn’t easy, in fact it was worse than any sickness I had previously experienced, I pushed through and even began to enjoy my time in Ghana! After about a month in my new mission, I was excitingly assigned to a Liberia refugee camp where I could speak Kalokwa and eat the Liberian food. I had an awesome companion who became my friend immediately and I was also working/living with a few of my beloved fellow Liberia missionaries! After my first day of hard work which was full of enjoying my new companion, feeling at home, speaking Kalokwa and loving my new area... I returned to the apartment only to discover that another one of my missions was being evacuated.





As you could imagine, a second mission evacuation really knocked me out😂 It seemed as though whenever I began to feel good and get comfortable, a swift kick in the butt awaited me. All the above happened in a very short amount of time so I was very, very worn out. Not to mention all the craziness of my entire mission which would take an entire book to describe!! (I’m very happy I made the decision before my mission to keep a journal and record every single day. I encourage all future missionaries to do the same)






Before my mission, I gave a talk in sacrament meeting which included the subject, “Do hard things and trust in the Lord.” This was my personal slogan on mission! In the past 21 months I have truly learned what it means to do hard things and trust in the Lord.


My perspective has changed quite a bit because before I thought enduring meant to suck it up and keep walking no matter what life throws at you. Although sucking it up and keep walking is very important... learning to love the work and finding joy inside the trials and afflictions is TRULY enduring.


Looking back, I remember the miracles more than the sicknesses and difficult companions. I was blessed to have taught, and convert many people whom I love. I was blessed to see how the church works in such an early stage! I was blessed to be with such faithful people including my companions who helped me along the way. I was blessed to serve in very fruitful areas! I was even blessed to have had such a difficult mission because now I know that the Lord Jesus Christ doesn’t necessarily take away the trials and afflictions from His servants... but His Atoning sacrifice can give us meaning for our trial. Comfort, healing, and also strength He can give to us because He has truly worked out a perfect Atonement.



It wasn’t always easy wearing a tag with the Saviors name on it. As promised, we as disciples of Jesus Christ WILL have tribulations but It was a privilege and I’m grateful to have had the humbling and sobering experiences which caused me to learn how to love the work, trust in the Lord, and do hard things.





Thanks for your consistent prayers and letters of encouragement these past 2 years. I love you all!

Sincerely, Brother Hallenberger































 
















No comments:

Post a Comment

God Bless The Rains Down In Africa!

I have waited until Sunday to post this message because Sunday is a sacred day and this message will include many miracles:) Just this la...