Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Missionary? Or English teacher?

Bonjour la famille et amis,

My new companion, Elder Dea is awesome! He has been here for about a year so his preaching skills are outstanding! I asked if he could teach me French and he asked if I could teach him how to write in English. Now... I'm not the smartest person but, I thought it would be fun to teach someone what I knew! So during his English study, I began to teach him how to write in English. Only problem was I had absolutely no idea where to start! So I just had him write a paragraph about his girlfriend haha! He wrote things like, fine hair, fine smile, and fine eyes. I could tell that he needed help with adjectives. I taught him about other words like, beautiful, pretty, cute, gorgeous, and attractive. He then asked if there were other words like fine and I said, "Yes but not for missionaries!"


This man isn't just teaching me French. He's also teaching me how to cook Ivory Coast meals. The man can cook! He made us breakfast one morning and I took one bite and said, "You will make your wife very happy."


It's pretty handy having a French companion! One of our investigators, Sister Garcia, only speaks very little English. This being said, Elder James and I have had a difficult time teaching her. The other day we went over there and for a whole hour... Elder Dea and Sister Garcia talked in French! I was just awkwardly in the middle haha! I would say it was a good lecture but as far as I know... The could've been talking about soccer the entire time


Elder Miller's new companion, Elder Izedonmwen from Nigeria is also a great guy and I'm excited to get to know him better this transfer. 


We had stake conference on Saturday and Sunday where we heard from the hilarious Elder Isaac K Morrison. He was just called last April as an area seventy. He used to be a stake president in Ghana. He was teaching us about ministering with love. He also answered our questions concerning the recent changes of the church in January. Elder Morrison frequently warned us about creating our own church haha! He said, "If I hear a new member say he doesn't know what a temple recommend is... I'll know we've created another church!" Haha he was so funny and i'm glad I got to meet and hear from him! I'm pretty excited because President Clark said he wouldn't be surprised if this man gives a General conference talk soon!





Ahh! I can't believe it's November!!! On the 1st I realized, "Wow yesterday was Halloween and I didn't even notice!" I guess that's what happens when you lose yourself in the work and in another continent that doesn't know what Halloween is!


It's definitely still summer here! My family and friends are putting on coats while I'm putting on more sunscreen!

Love you all! hanks for your kind words and prayers! 

Sincerely, Elder Hallenberger






No comments:

Post a Comment

God Bless The Rains Down In Africa!

I have waited until Sunday to post this message because Sunday is a sacred day and this message will include many miracles:) Just this la...