Monday, November 19, 2018

Pioneering in Africa

I'm excited to say that after 6 years of investigation the church, Sister Orietta was baptized on Saturday morning! Brother Paul, a return missionary who had previously taught her, performed the baptism for her! The service was beautiful! Bishop Tugbeh asked me to speak on the importance of baptism. I didn't have anything prepared but I was able to deliver a small improvised message about what I knew to be true. The baptism was a success and I'm excited for my friend and her decision to follow the Savior's divine example. 



On Sunday morning we viewed a special broadcast from Salt Lake! All the stakes in West Africa gathered in their stake centers and received council and words of encouragement from Joy D. Jones, Stephen W. Owen, Gary E. Stevenson, and President Henry B. Eyring.  They each gave amazing talks concerning the church in West Africa. Elder Owen stated that while the saints in America are far into the Pioneer Era.... Africa has only just begun. He stated that most the members in Africa are the only in their various families. Which makes them pioneers. Obviously, Pioneer Era will never be over but, it's very special to me to be serving in an area where the Pioneering has just started. 

Elder Owen also shared an amazing story about a man named Orson Spencer and his wife Katherine. They both wanted to join the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints but, Katherine's parents didn't approve. They said if she were to join the Church.... She and Orson would no longer be welcome in the family. Nevertheless... They were both baptized and later had 5 children. Orson and Katherine planned to meet the rest of the Saints in Nauvoo. Unfortunately, Katherine got very ill and wasn't able to begin trek. They didn't have a lot of money and they lacked medical care. Orson wrote to Katherine's parents begging them to take his wife in and care for her. Their reply stated that they'd only care for their daughter if she left her husband Orson and the church. When Orson gave this letter to his sick wife, she gave him the following scripture:"Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God" (Ruth1:16) Katherine passed away shortly after and endured faithful till the end. Orson Spencer and his 5 motherless children later joined the Saints in Zion. I love this story so much because it relates to so many Pioneer Saints in Africa who remain so strong and faithful even during trialing times. 

Sorry, not a whole lot of exciting or funny events this week. We did take a bus to the devotional and that was pretty exciting! They had Elder Miller and I sit at the back which made me laugh haha!




Love you guys and your inspiring words of encouragement! Hope you all have a happy Thanksgiving! I'm not sure what i'll do on Thursday... Probably nothing special because Thanksgiving and Christmas doesn't exist here:/ 

Sincerely, Elder Hallenberger

PS: This spider was found right by my bed this morning... Bravo Liberia... Bravo.



No comments:

Post a Comment

God Bless The Rains Down In Africa!

I have waited until Sunday to post this message because Sunday is a sacred day and this message will include many miracles:) Just this la...