Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Monkeys!!!! Ahhh!!!


Dear friends and family,
The free meals will surely be the death of Elder Hallenberger! Like I’ve said earlier… The people here love to put violent amounts of pepe (pepper) in the rice. This is all they eat. Just the other day, a kind investigator offered us a meal to eat before we departed to our next lecture. He placed a bowl of rice with two spoons in front of me and my companion. He then poured a red substance over the rice and of course… A fish head on top. Just once I’d love the meal to be a delicious juicy Chick-Fila sandwich. I asked the man in my weak Kalokwa dialect if the food had a lot of pepe in it. He then pleaded saying there was very little pepe! The Holy Spirit told me otherwise. Nevertheless… After blessing the food, I took a bite. We must’ve said the prayer wrong because that food was far from blessed. In fact, It was so hot I’m convinced it came straight from down under! Not only did the man lie to me… Which is a sin. He tried to kill me!!! This is also a sin!!! Ahh he was laughing too!! He cried tears of joy while I cried tears of sheer pain!!!!
On a more positive note… I saw a freaking monkey!! It was so cute and small and ahhh!!! I’m in Africa!!! Bucket list for when I return home: 1st… Hug mom! 2nd… Buy a pet monkey! 3rd… Hug dad;)
We went into Monrovia last week and wow! I used to think San Francisco was crazy! Elder Johnson got punched by a lady!! Long story short: After all 4 of us were in the keke (Three wheeled taxi) a large woman tried to sit on Johnson’s lap. After Johnson reasonably resisted… The woman got angry, yelled a few words that won’t be repeated, and hit him in the leg! I saw it myself! It happened so quickly! It could’ve been me! I’m so glad I don’t have to title this e-mail, “My small and tender leg has been crippled due to the force of a large woman’s fist.” Every Elder in the keke was shocked she had punched him but I’m surprised Elder Johnson could resist a woman of her size from sitting on his lap! The power of God is real Brothers and Sisters;)
Unfortunately, not everything here is as fun as Monkeys and keke rides. One sunny day while walking to our next appointment, my companion and I saw something I never want to see again. On the side of the road there stood 4 girls no older than 12. They had blades pointed at a crying boy no older than 2. They weren’t letting him stand up off the large red ant hill he was forced to sit on. It was bullying and torture. Without hesitation, my companion and I made the bullies leave. I then lifted the scared, crying child off the hill and carried him to the road where I brushed him free of the many biting ants. I then asked if he was okay. Reasonably, he didn’t reply and cried running home to what I hope to be a comforting mother. I’m sure you’re sad picturing this in your head but living it was just sickening. The cruel way they treat children and animals here is easily the worst part of Liberia.
Thankfully the positives outweigh the negatives! One of our new investigators from New Look is named Angel. Angel has such an amazing spirit! It’s fantastic!! When we first met her… She seemed sleepy and uninterested. Nevertheless… We gave her a pamphlet and continued on our way. The next time we walked by Angel was very excited to see us! She gathered family and friends and together, my companion and I taught Angel and her large group of interested loved ones! It was a wonderful lesson and it was evident that Angel not only read the pamphlet previously given to her…But she had studied it! She understood everything we taught!!! After meeting with her a few times I know in my heart that God has prepared her to hear the exciting message of the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ! So exciting!!
It’s difficult being away from my family and I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t. But it really helps being surrounded by such a loving people who treat me like family! I love these people! I love Liberia! I love the work! And I love you all!!
Sincerely, Elder Hallenberger

No comments:

Post a Comment

God Bless The Rains Down In Africa!

I have waited until Sunday to post this message because Sunday is a sacred day and this message will include many miracles:) Just this la...