Tuesday, September 25, 2018

How can I be the 4th Missionary?


It has been such a crazy week!! I'm emailing today because President Clark said yesterday was too dangerous for the missionaries to be in town. Everything is okay! President is just being cautious! (As he should be)

This last week I've been able to spend more time with President and Sister Clark. I'm grateful for the time I've had with them because they are such great people! I was able to hear their incredible story about how the Lord prepared them to become such great leaders. They inspire me and I'm grateful for them.

The other day I was able to go on exchanges with Elder Fifita. He is Tongan from New Zealand. He spent a while before his mission in Australia to play rugby. He is such a cool guy! His area is amazing! It goes all the way to the beach and Hotel Africa! Hotel Africa is fascinating but also horrifying because its a huge sign of the war. Elder Fifita and I taught many people and had such great lessons! For lunch, we went to a lady who cooks meat and rice. It was really good! Of course... It wasn't until after I ate the meat when Elder Fifita informed me I had just eaten dog. judge me all you want but... Dogs make good pets and meals!:)

I got to meet the newest elders in the district. Elder Lartey from Ghana and Elder Nahounou from Ivory Coast! Hilarious companionship!! When I returned to my apartment I met Elder Tamfumo's new companion, Elder Miller from Arizona. Great guy!


Early Saturday morning... Elder James got really sick. Being his companion... I conducted a priesthood blessing. In the middle of the blessing... Elder James literally passed out, fell off the chair, and flopped on the floor. It sounds funny now but we were all in shock! I was terrified that I gave the blessing incorrectly!!! We all ran around like headless turkeys in panic! Elder Tamfumo and his companion helped Elder James to his bed while I called President. President sent a driver to transport my companion and I to a hospital in Monrovia. It was surprisingly nice! Sister Clark and I waited for a doctor to see Elder James. I stayed with my companion the whole day while he rested. They had Elder James stay the night so President took me to the Assistant's apartment for the night.  Elder James ended up being okay and we were back to our regular missionary work the following day. He later told me that he tends to pass out whenever he gets even remotely sick haha! I wish I knew that earlier! I thought he died!


The assistants, Elder Pratt from Maine and Elder Wangele from Nigeria are great guys! Great missionaries! They were able to answer a question I had for a while. Every missionary is aware of the term... The 4th missionary. The 1st and 2nd missionary aren't good missionaries and the 3rd missionary is a very good missionary! (You can look it up if you'd like) The 3rd missionary tries his hardest and loves the work! He is into conversions... Not just baptisms. He serves an honorable mission and enjoys the blessings that the 1st and 2nd missionaries missed out on. The 4th missionary is perfect haha! He is obedient and loves the work! He is like the 3rd missionary but better! Well after hearing this I wondered... How can I be the 4th missionary? I decided to take my question to the assistants. I asked Elder Pratt, "After spending this time with me... How can I do better?" He looked at me in confusion and asked, "You want me to judge you?" I said, "Yes!" I wanted these great mature and experienced missionaries to let me know how I can do better. He then said, "Well the fact that you're asking such a question proves to me that you seek consistent improvement. Which is very good!" I then asked, "How can somebody be the 4th missionary?" Elder Pratt then stated that the 4th missionary is essentially Jesus Christ. He said that even though we have been called as representatives of Christ... We arent perfect like He is. We have great responsibilities and expectations but we are still young mortal boys who make mistakes! He said the 4th missionary is someone you can slowly become. Nobody is the 4th missionary immediately! It comes after trial and error! It comes after you've adjusted to mission life and the area you've been called! It takes practice. The 4th missionary is someone the 3rd missionary strives to become. Tries his hardest to become.

I absolutely loved Elder Pratt's council! I will continue to apply this lesson to my daily missionary life and I hope my other missionary buddies do the same! Another lesson I've learned... Snail slurping is NOT a fun activity!

Love you all!
Sincerely, Elder Hallenberger

No comments:

Post a Comment

God Bless The Rains Down In Africa!

I have waited until Sunday to post this message because Sunday is a sacred day and this message will include many miracles:) Just this la...