Monday, April 22, 2019

The Spirit of Easter



Dear family and friends,

What a powerful week!! I have so much to share with you guys! I am so grateful for the experiences and opportunities the mission provides each day here in Liberia. There's no doubt that I miss my people in Paynesville with all my heart but I'm happy to be here serving the people in Kakata. This is truly a special place and the people here are so kind. Kakata is absolutely beautiful!! Many of the people we teach live a mile or two into the jungle. I wish I could show you some of the things I've seen in just one week!!! I know my family would absolutely love the hikes I hike on a daily basis here. The Firestone rubber plantation is in our area and we pass it everyday. On Tuesday we walked through it and I couldn't believe how outstanding my surroundings were!! Outside, the forest looks very (almost pitch) dark but as soon as you go inside... Everything gets much brighter and super quiet! It was as if my companion and I were in a sound proof studio! It was super cool!


The area surely is spectacular but nothing beats the sight of others progressing in the Lord's Gospel:) Kakata has a lot of that!! In my last few areas... The average number of investigators attending sacrament was about 10 or 15. Here in Kakata... My companion says the average is around 30 to 35!!! The field is white and ready to harvest and I couldn't be more excited to participate in the amazing work in Kakata! My branch is really great with story members and leaders who make being a missionary easier. This last week, I got to know many of them. I'm surprised that the Lord decided to call someone with such a long name to a place where long names and R's are the people's kryptonite!! Introducing myself to others is ALWAYS the same... They'll attempt to read my tag but quickly get discouraged and retreat. "Oh! Your name hard-o!!" they'll say with wide eyes. Then I'll have them take baby steps. Hall....en....berger. But they always tumble at the end. "Edwa Hambababa" or "Edward Hamburger." Haha It's always funny to hear them... try:)

We have a mission cat named Mitch at our apartment. The immature side of me likes to call him a son of a Mitch:) I'm not a cat person and I'm definitely not a Mitch person and if I see him on my desk, in the kitchen or the bedroom one more time.... We will be having cat for dinner. (Kidding) The apartment is nice but I think it was made for Hobbits because the doorways meet my eye-line and I have to duck everywhere I go haha! My companion and I live with our zone leaders, Elder Dube and Elder Montenegro. They are both super cool guys and occasionally we'll have very spiritual evening devotionals together after daily planning. 


Yesterday, we were finally able to watch some of General conference! I really enjoyed and appreciated the inspired messages shared and I'm grateful for the blessing of living Prophets to lead us. IN the spirit of Easter, this past week I dedicated my personal study towards the savior and His divine mission. Every morning as I prepared for the day this past week, I listened to a talk that has become one of my favorites. It's titled, "Behold the Man" by Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf. In it, Elder Uchtdorf further explains the importance and reality of the Atonement. He notes that everybody sins and everybody dies. He then explains that Jesus Christ saved us from both sin and death. In our devotional on Sunday, we read in the "Come Follow Me" manual. I love how it compares the story of the Passover with the Atonement. The blood of of the Lamb of God saved us all from the slavery of both sin and death. That is what makes the message of Easter a message of hope and joy. Without Jesus Christ, we would have no hope of returning home to Heavenly Father. When teaching about the Plan of Salvation, I always begin by telling others that the center of the lesson is the Savior. Without Him... The plan wouldn't work. I love my Savior and I have a strong testimony that He lives and that His sacrifice was, is, and always will be the ultimate act of love and the greatest gift ever to be given. I've been given the privilege to share this divine message to the people of Kakata and I can't think of anything better to be doing on this Easter season. Surely nothing more rewarding.

We've got 5 people who accepted to be baptized on the 4th of May and this next week we will try and change that number to a grand spankin' 7! I hope everyone is doing great back home! Liberia is great! This is my report! Love you all! 

Sincerely, Elder Hambabababa

No comments:

Post a Comment

God Bless The Rains Down In Africa!

I have waited until Sunday to post this message because Sunday is a sacred day and this message will include many miracles:) Just this la...