Monday, January 13, 2020

Hebrews 13:1


Dear family and friends,

I hope everyone has enjoyed the holiday season! Sorry I haven't been able to write... The country is facing a lot of problems with the government. For the past 2 preparation days, large protests have caused us to stay inside for safety precautions. We will continue praying for the country in hopes another 10 year civil war does not break out again.

We are facing a large issue in our branch. People seem to think the members of the Church are perfect but the truth is that while the Church is perfect... the members are far from it. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is for those who are working towards perfection. Too many members have arguments with other members and then ask themselves, "How could this church be true if this person is in it?"

The other day while visiting a members home, we were saddened to hear that the family had completely left the church and rejoined their other church. All this because an argument between two relief society sisters couldn't be resolved. These members have the potential to be a strong addition to the church! They kept explaining to us how the members are giving them a hard time but I asked them, "Do you follow Christ or man? Were you baptized in the name of Christ or of man?" If we put all our faith in a mortal, we will surely be disappointed because we mortals are imperfect! But if we put our faith and trust in Jesus Christ, we will never find disappointment. I reminded them that everyone makes mistakes and we are all trying to become better...together. This being said we need to help one another which includes forgiving others for their wrongdoings. I hope this family figures out what is best for them.

I remember one disagreement I had with one of my best friends on mission. Unfortunately, it got pretty heated and we were about to call it a night and go to bed angry without the Spirit. I remember laying in bed not knowing what to think because just that morning we were friends but it seemed like we were now... enemies. I began to realize how ridiculous the argument was and that it wasn't worth losing a friend and the Spirit. Just as I thought this, my friend humbly came into the room. "I don't know why I am mad but I'd rather not be." He said, "Sorry." Haha we ended up hugging it out like men and the Spirit was able to come back! He was the bigger person in the story and I learned from his example. Contention is truly of the devil and if we realize that we as disciples of Jesus Christ are all in it together... there shouldn't be anything but love in our hearts for one another.

On mission there has been missionaries who I have wanted to punch in the face but instead I sucked it up, forgave, and forgot. There has even been missionaries who caused me to feel embarrassed to wear the same tag that they wear! But I realized how my tag says, "Elder Hallenberger" and "Jesus Christ" and nobody else. I represent my family, the church, and the Savior which is all that matters. What other missionaries say and do doesn't make the work any less divine. Likewise, when a member irritates another member, it doesn't justify the annoyed member to assume the church must not be true. I wish members could understand this fact because the contention in the branch has caused our activity to drop dramatically.

Jesus said love everyone. The greatest commandment is to Love God and His children. If we do our part and forgive others, we will feel peace and joy in our lives because we are truly spreading the light of Christ.

-Elder Hallenberger



No comments:

Post a Comment

God Bless The Rains Down In Africa!

I have waited until Sunday to post this message because Sunday is a sacred day and this message will include many miracles:) Just this la...