Monday, July 8, 2019

Killing Elder Stitcher


Dear family and friends,

Since it's transfer Monday, I don't have a lot of time to write so here's a brief summary of my week...
Things are changing again! I'm staying in Kakata with my new companion, Elder Stitcher from Arizona! He is going home with Elder Pollmann at the end of this transfer and President has asked me to "kill" him. I know Elder Stitcher is a strong and powerful missionary and I am so excited to serve with him. (Kill meaning I'm his last companion)
Elder Eaton is staying in Kakata to split the Zone Leader's area with Elder Molisi from Tonga. All 6 of us are staying in a 4 man apartment until my area's new apartment is finished! When that happens, Elder Pluim and Andriamisa will be living with me and my companion.

We've really been working hard to find new people to teach. My prayer is that lots of our cohabiting investigators will soon be able to get married and baptized. A couple weeks ago, I sent out a letter that included my big struggle as a missionary in Liberia. I have a handful of people who believe the church is true and have desires to be baptized but because they are cohabiting, they'll need to wait until they pay for a legal marriage certificate. When I explained this, I was pleased to receive many emails from family and friends who wish to help donate and contribute for my investigators. I asked my President what I should do and he told me to encourage my well intention friends to contribute to Liberia in another way. Humanitarian, mission, etc. If we help pay for certificates, everyone will come to the church for handouts and there would be no effort on the investigator's end. "Faith without works is dead." I love all my investigators but I would much rather baptize someone who sacrificed of themselves and showed true faith by doing what was asked of them. I think the main issue is the people's priorities...
I once knew a man in my earlier area who had been investigating the church for nearly 6 years. He understood the truth, loved the church and desired to be baptized but he waited and waited because he needed a marriage certificate. He has a very nice smart phone, bluffing(fancy) clothes, and a personal car but he never got a marriage certificate and I think it's because baptism sadly wasn't his highest priority. This is the main problem missionaries face in West Africa.



On Saturday, Brother George and Brother Zachboy were baptized! The service was wonderful! Brother Sumo baptized, Elder Odoom and I gave talks, and George's mom and step-dad came to support their son! It was so special having them join us and feel the Spirit. They aren't of our faith but for the past 2 weeks, as I previously promised, we taught them and gave them a greater understanding of the Gospel their son loved. It is clear to me that the Lord truly softened the hearts of these people and it was a blessing to have them not only approve of George's baptism, but also to come and witness it. His mother also came on Sunday to see his confirmation! I was honored to do that for him and I was so happy she was there! She has another church she frequently attends and she promised me that she wouldn't be able to come this Sunday. Well, she did:) I could tell the mother was so grateful for the church's influence on her son.

Brother Zachboy bore a wonderful testimony and he shared a story about his conversion into the church. He was born into a strong Catholic family and he spent 4 years meeting with missionaries until he realized which church was true. I also felt impressed to share my testimony and encourage the branch to continue welcoming new people warmly. I invited them to always say hello and be a friend because you never know what a simple greeting from a stranger could do. After the service was over... I was pleased to see the relief society president, the branch president's wife, and many other women in the branch immediately greet George's mother and invite her to Sunday school. Before she walked home I shook her hand and asked her how she enjoyed church. She smiled and said, "It was beautiful."
I testify that I witnessed a countenance of conversion on that sweet lady's face and I am going to continue to teach her because I know that she felt the Spirit strongly like never before that special Sunday. 


My friends the mission is truly wonderful and there's no denying that it is the work of the Lord. There is no denying that the experiences I'm having is changing my life. I love you all. Thanks for your support! 

Sincerely, Elder Hallenberger






No comments:

Post a Comment

God Bless The Rains Down In Africa!

I have waited until Sunday to post this message because Sunday is a sacred day and this message will include many miracles:) Just this la...